The following will be required to enter the competition:
- Submissions must be done electronically to allow for publication of designs. The submission should consist of up to 5 Microsoft PowerPoint (ppt or pptx) slides. The first slide must be a summary of the design with all necessary information for publication. Images included in the submission must be a minimum of 150 dpi, clear, in focus, and suitable for publication. For most entries, only the summary slide will be published. Any wording on the slides must be done in English; however, an alternate version of the slides can be provided in another language.
- The submission should include a dimensioned plan and section of the luminaire, a perspective sketch or rendering of the product, and a perspective sketch or rendering of the product in use. An optional candlepower distribution curve may also be included to illustrate an understanding of the light distribution.
- Students are required to submit one hard copy of the proposed luminaire design. It should consist of a color printout of the five slides, including the required summary slide, on five separate sheets of paper. The maximum size of each sheet is 11 inches x 17 inches. The hard copy should be mailed to the address provided on the application form. Application material will not be returned to the applicant.
- Only currently enrolled students may apply for the competition. Individual and group projects may be submitted. For a group submission, the application must indicate a group leader. Any award will be made to the group leader.
- The luminaire must be designed within the past 12 months and while the entrant is a student.
- Applicants must disclose if any designs submitted to this competition have been previously published, or if intellectual property rights have been assigned.
- A faculty member at the student's school must sign the application.
- A copy of the application form must accompany the hardcopy entry and include the signature of the student and faculty advisor.
- Illustrations may be drawn by hand or computer-rendered.
- Applicants should also include a maximum 200-word description of the product and its use, including clearly delineated design goals. This must be submitted in English, however, an alternate version of the description can also be included in a language other than English.
- Materials not submitted in this format may be disqualified.
Next:Intellectual Property, Competition Schedule, and Sponsorship and Administration