Career OpportunitiesThe Lighting Research Center (LRC), part of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, is the world's leading research and educational facility devoted to lighting. The LRC employs about 35 faculty and staff from a variety of disciplines, who explore all areas of lighting and lighting-related issues. LRC faculty and staff are employees of Rensselaer, a top-tier, world-class, technological university with global reach and global impact. Rensselaer employees are rewarded through a competitive compensation package, an exceptional benefits plan, professional growth and development, a technologically advanced work environment, and continuing educational opportunities. Learn more about Rensselaer at www.rpi.edu..
Current Job Openings at the LRC
For more information about the positions listed below, or to apply online:
- Visit the Job Applicants page of the Rensselaer Human Resources site.
- Select "Current Job Openings."
- Select "Search Postings."
- In Department field, select "LRC-Lighting Research Center" from drop down list.
Electronic Design Engineer
The Electronic Design Engineer will have the responsibility to design electronic systems, fabricate lab experiments and hardware and test software and hardware. The incumbent will also be responsible for supporting students, faculty and staff in the laboratories; presenting course materials for workshops and educational programs; and collaborating with faculty and students in hardware/software development.
QualificationsAdvanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
The Research Technician will design and construct apparatus for experiments, evaluating lighting products and systems.
- Bachelor's degree in in a technical field such as Electrical Engineering Technology or Electronics Technology
- 2-3 years experience
- Some practical experience in electrical laboratory measurement
- Experience in testing of lighting products
Senior Research Specialist
The Senior Research Specialist assists PIs in project execution related to solid-state lighting (LEDs) on-time, on-budget, and of high quality. Responsible for assisting in the design and development of research projects, including equipment, apparatus and experiment design. Conducts analysis of data collected and write-up of experimental results.
- Bachelor's Degree in the appropriate field
- 3-5 years of experience OR Masters degree in a related field with 1-2 years of experience OR recent PhD with no post degree experience.
Senior Research Scientist
The Senior Research Scientist initiates and leads research projects related to the performance of lighting products and systems.
- Master's degree in relevant field or discipline
- Five (5) or more years of related experience, including in depth experience in particular scientific, design or engineering applications
- Experience working in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated recognition internally and externally as an authority in one or more disciplines
- Ph.D. in applicable field or Master's Degree in engineering or related field and professional license may be substituted for PhD.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in leading R&D projects.
- Extensive experience in developing and managing interdisciplinary research programs.
- Appropriate credentials for a senior academic appointment, or equivalent experience demonstrated in a senior industrial leadership position.
- Requires a distinguished record of research accomplishment in one or more areas.